Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mmhmm, yep, uh huh... Wait, what?

With both the Republican and Democratic conventions happening this week, the subject of politics came to the forefront of my mind.  Don’t worry, I’m not going to go on any political rants, and to be honest, I’m not entirely sure whom I’m going to vote for in the upcoming Presidential election yet.  I know, I need to get on that, but I think that these next few weeks will be very telling… Anyway, that’s not the point of my post this week.  I’ve been watching parts of both Republican and Democratic conventions and it’s interesting to see and listen to crowd responses.  By watching and listening to the crowd’s responses alone, it’s pretty easy to figure out the make-up of each crowd.  Republicans go to the Republican convention and Democrats go to the Democratic convention.  I know, duh.  I definitely think that both conventions serve their purposes well and act as facilitators to rally each party together.  And don’t get me wrong, I think that this is definitely necessary.  My point is that the casual observer notices moments in each convention where there’s lots of cheering and other moments with collective booing, and, not to mention, lots and lots of head nodding.  Like I said earlier, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with rallying together with those whom you share ideologies with.  I just wonder if, after all of the cheering, booing, and head nodding by not just those in attendance, but also by those watching at home, how many people on either side of the political spectrum really give much thought as to what they’re affirming or rejecting.  I think that most of us are guilty of this to some degree, and every so often we catch ourselves doing this.  Something to think about…

No comments:

Post a Comment