Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

These Are a Few of My Favorite Films


I had to make some tough decisions when abridging this list of my favorite movies, because there are so many really good movies that I would love to recommend.  But, in the interest of not making this post super-duper long, I’ve only included my absolute favorites.

You’ve Got Mail
This movie happens to be my favorite rom-com of all time.  Period.  Even though I own the DVD, I always have to stop and watch this movie whenever I see it as I’m flipping through the channels.  The chemistry between the characters and the setting is fantastic, the dialogue is great, and the storyline is so sweet and charming.  It’s just one of those movies that you watch and always end up with a smile on your face by the time the credits start to roll.  

Driving Miss Daisy
This is one of the sweetest movies I’ve ever seen, and not sweet in a sugary, toothachy way, but sweet as in just plain good for the soul.  This movie is another example of what good writing, good actors, and good chemistry can accomplish.  Plus, the musical score is really, really nifty.  (Semi-spoiler alert) My favorite thing about this movie is the simplicity of the final scene and how it explains so much about the relationship that those two characters had built over the years.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame
This film happens to be my favorite Disney movie!  I remember how much I loved the gargoyles and the music from when I was younger, but watching this movie again years later really brought this film to a new level and solidified it amongst my list of all-time favorites.

Amadeus
Whoever knew that the guy who voiced Quasimodo was also Mozart? My Classical and Romantic music class watched this film last year, and it has since become one of my favorite movies.  Even if you’re not a fan of Mozart’s music, the storyline is quite interesting, albeit not entirely historically accurate. 

The Sound of Music
Makes me want to go frolic and sing in the hills of Austria.  I always have watch the entre ‘act, because I love seeing all of the pretty shots of gorgeous Austria.  This movie is such a classic. 

West Side Story
Even though this movie is a mere shell of what the stage musical is, I still love it.  Score wise, this is probably one of my favorite musicals of all time.  I remember watching this movie for the first time and being shocked when the gang members started dancing ballet, which I thought turned out to be kinda different and cool, no pun intended.

Schaffner’s Planet of the Apes
Even though I’m not a huge sci-fi fan, I really enjoyed this movie.  I remember years and years ago the first time I saw this movie, and the ending really stuck with me for a while in a way that not many movie endings do.

Waterloo Bridge
With Robert Taylor and Vivian Leigh.  I’ve cried during tragic movies before, but this one affected me differently than any other movie ever has and I’m not sure why.  I’ve included this film on my list of favorites, because I have never seen another movie that touches on the areas of love and humanity that this movie does. 

Gone With the Wind
All I can say is, of all the movies I’ve ever seen this one is my favorite by far.    

No comments:

Post a Comment