Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Annoying Things That People Do

Okay, so this is my first actual post.  I can think of quite a lot of things that drive me crazy is specific situations, but most are just things that I find irksome based on the person or the mood I am in, so I don't think those really count.  However, there are a few things that I dislike in general.

Catcalls.  You know when you are at a band/music concert or a recital and people start yelling their friend's/family member's names?  Drives me completely nuts.  I have sat through way too many of these types of performances, and I don't understand why people insist on doing this.  I mean, I know you want to tell someone to do a good job, but is yelling their name right before they have to remember whatever it is they are performing really a good way to help them do well?  No, it isn't.  It probably distracts them because they hear someone say their name, and the automatic response to that is to look up and find the person who yelled, not to ignore them and concentrate on something else.  It would be so much more considerate to yell their name after they have performed, so that you aren't distracting them and they won't be stressed out trying to remember what to do with people yelling their names all the time.

That's all on that subject.  There is one other thing that I have recently found to be really obnoxious.  Now, I didn't realize this until the last year or so, but I don't understand about half of what comes out of college students' mouths.  They talk about something that they think is the best or funniest thing ever, and they I'm supposed to react in some appropriate way.  When I look at them blankly because I didn't understand the reference to whatever they were saying, or I didn't laugh at a joke I didn't understand (not that I laugh much out loud anyway...), they get offended or confused because I didn't think it was "the best thing ever."  Now, I say a lot of things that most regular (normal? aka, not as weird as I am) people don't understand, but if they look at me strangely I say "don't worry" or "you didn't need to understand."  I don't just stare at someone until they ask how that was an amusing joke/story/whatever.  I have a friend at college who just stares at me with a "that was so funny, right?" grin until I ask her what the point was, and she is shocked when I don't get it (and she's known me for two years now...).  So, yeah.  People expecting me to understand everything that comes out of their mouths when they have known me long enough to know better apparently really bug me.  I don't mean to write so much on that.

Anyway, I think this is where I am going to end this post.  I hope everyone has enjoyed reading everyone else's posts this week on the things that bug them.

No comments:

Post a Comment