Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Little Bit of Both, I Suppose

I've taken an Intro to Psychology course, which is where much of my viewpoint on the subject comes from. Or perhaps it is the way I am with most things, that often time the answer is in between two extreme truths. While I believe that some twin studies have shown that genetics to influence in some way how we develop, I would never say that genetics is the end all be all. It is that feeling that you can't change your "fate" is who you are is because of your genetics.



So I suppose I lean more towards the nurture side, just because of the way I'd prefer to view how a person can develop in a world. It's not really based completely on scientific fact, although I know that genetics do influence our development somewhat. I mean, that is why twin studies are so important, although I have no looked into them as much as I should have. It's the question that if you grew up to act like your father, was it because you grew up around him or because you share your genetics. With the twin studies, that question of where the influence comes from theoretically is taken out of the question. I don't know if the question will ever be quite answered, even through extensive study. But I can say that I believe that the answer is as usual somewhere in between. Where you grow up and who you grow up around is probably just as important as what genetics you have. And I am determined to continue to view it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment