Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Uneducated


This topic is going to be a bit difficult for me for two reasons: I’ve never had experience with online education personally and I don’t know much about how it works outside my area.

I will say this: I’m not very fond of it as a theory. I mean, the idea of having the ability to do things on a more flexible schedule in the comfort of my home is nice. But, when you get down to it, there are just too many cons. (I am doing this from what I know of the way online education works on the high school level.)

I think a large amount of the learning process (as Kelsey mentioned) is the relationship you can have with your teacher. If you have a problem understanding then you can talk it through and work on it. The only way you can get through it online is practice in a way that maybe you aren’t particularly good at learning in. While I understand that there are actual teachers, I don’t think they’re very effective because explaining a problem is a lot easier to do in person. Just like explaining the solution is.

I have met people who learn in every different way you can think of. I think that online learning restricts you because it makes you learn primarily through text or video/graphics. But I know a lot of people who are hands on learners who need real life examples or something tangible to learn better. These students would be hindered in an online environment.

I don’t have any personal experiences with online education and therefore I think going into depth about this topic would be misinformed. So, I would love to open this up for discussion and know everyone else’s opinions on the matter.

Sorry for the third week of mediocre posting, hopefully I can respond to comments and make up for it. Can’t wait for Kathleen’s opinion on the matter tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment