Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

At the Heart of it, is Science Fiction.

Television is for sure one of the great forms of entertainment. With a long rich history, and a number of forms and genres people would enjoy, it is not surprising people often complain we spend too much time in front of the TV. And with such variance, it is difficult to promote once single television show to the place of "favorite" above all others. Instead, there are slight paths I would like to take you through; different shows to show you that all do have a place in my mind as some degree of "favorite."

I will start of mentioning Stargate SG-1, because it is the show that first got me into television, into lurking about fandom and enjoying a lot of what I do for entertainment today. It is science fiction, a follow up to the 1994 of approximately the same name. It is not a perfect show, nor is it truly close to the greatest ever created, but it is fun, it has good characters and interesting mythology and it will always be one of the first I name when people ask me which are my favorite. It is the first show I ever really got into to the point of having to watch every week, looking up interviews, spoilers, following spin offs because they were related to the original. I would suggest that anyone who enjoys science fiction to check it out because it certainly deserves a larger fan base than I ever thought it got.

Now possibly my true favorite show, the one I would mention first, falls to Battlestar Galactica, the 2004 remake. Also science fiction, and a lot darker, rooted in human survival more than extreme and quirky science fiction. It fulfilled my needs for serious television, yet the characters were good, the story lines within the realm of sci-fi and used real world parallels and commentary. It was just good, and although people debate how much they enjoyed the ending, I was personally satisfied. It was good sci-fi, and stands up there as one of the best science fiction shows of all time.

Well, because there is so much television, I usually divide my view of "favorite" down to overall favorite and to favorite television currently on air. After all, if it is currently running and it could be cancelled, it deserves all the help it could get. Even then, it is hard for me to choose one. There are the ones on HBO like Game of Thrones or the Newsroom or the major networks like The Good Wife or Once Upon a Time. And then there is the British television that some of my fellow bloggers have already mentioned.  But since it is summer, I think I will discuss in more detail my favorite summer show - Suits. It's on USA, it's a lawyer show, but it's really good. Like all the things I love in my television, the characters are great, the dialogue is nice and snappy, and I just love the relationships between the characters. Plus there is great background music. It is definitely the best show USA is currently airing. And next episode, which comes on Thursday at 10, looks to be really really intense. Although there are tons of lawyer shows on television already, this one is good, focusing not on murders but corporate cases and the office politics and struggles within the own firm. It's just damn enjoyable television.

There is a still a lot I could mention, but I think I will leave with the explanation of those three. Although I don't watch a lot of science fiction, the ones I do usually mean hold an important place in my view of television. I hope there is something interesting to find from what I've noted and that my explanations push you into discovering something new.

1 comment:

  1. Are you familiar at all with a show called Sliders? It's a bit old, but I remember liking it when I watched it (which, admittedly, was a long time ago). Just a suggestion for something to check out at some point.

    ReplyDelete