Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

I still haven't watched Firefly

This week's topic is somewhat unfortunate for me because I have a fairly passive attitude about most passive media. I don't watch movies unless I'm forced to and though I enjoy television more, it's not by much. There are a lot of television series I like, and many I'll await seeing every week, there aren't a lot I feel passionate about. As far as shows that are currently on the air, I watch Glee, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, and The Glee Project.

As far as older shows that either I'm catching up on or I used to watch, there's Desperate Housewives and Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Almost all of these fall more or less under the category of dramedy (though with The Big Bang Theory having admittedly little drama and Glee having an overabundance). I enjoy shows that can be serious and thought-provoking and also ridiculous at the same time. I think both Buffy and Desperate Housewives did that fantastically, with Buffy in particular keeping a light, humorous tone in the midst of very dark plots. I really appreciate shows that can play with that dynamic and feel comfortable at either side of the spectrum.

The main outlier is The Glee Project because I love singing contest shows and, liking Glee, I really enjoy their take on it. It's nice because it's a combination of the typical talent show like American Idol and the Big Brother-style "watch personalities interact" thing. It lets you get to know the contestants as performers and as characters and I really enjoy that.

So that said, do you guys have any recommendations of similar things I might like? I'm always looking for things to watch while I'm knitting. XP

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if you'd like Castle or not, but I'd recommend at least trying it. ... I was about to suggest Bones, but then I remembered that you're already familiar with it.

    ReplyDelete