Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

I Grew Up Without Cable TV.

... But I watched a lot of TV growing up.  I don't watch as much anymore, so it's a bit hard for me to identify my favorite TV shows, simply due to the fact that there aren't many that I watch on a regular basis.  I suppose, by default, the ones I do watch regularly would be my "favorites", so... I suppose I'll just talk about them, and whatever else may come to mind along those lines.  Ready?  Let's go.

My first show really has to be The Big Bang Theory.  I'm really not one to enjoy most sitcoms, but this show combines a lot of things that I either enjoy, or at least find fascinating.  There are a lot of references to science (and to a lesser extent, math), and video games (though there have been more than a few inaccuracies that kind of drive me insane), and relationships between socially awkward people and "normal" people.  I like most of the characters on the show, but I feel a particular affinity for Sheldon.  Sheldon is quite literal, deeply mired in his everyday routines, and supremely stubborn... but underneath all of that (deep, deep underneath) he's a genuinely good person.  I find the interactions between the different characters amusing (generally speaking), and the writing is good enough to keep me coming back.  The show's gotten away from its nerdy roots lately, which is unfortunate, but I still enjoy watching it.  One thing of note, though - there is conclusive proof that this show can be a powerful aphrodisiac.  Watch with care.

Next on my list (and coming as a bit of surprise to me) is Hell's Kitchen.  I'm really not that "into" cooking - I can do it passably well, but I have no real passion or drive to be a world-class chef in my life.  Also, I generally don't like reality shows - I used to watch Survivor, but that eventually bored me out of my mind.  Why Hell's Kitchen, then?  Two words - Gordon Ramsay.  If any of you have no idea who he is, go Google him and skim his Wikipedia page (it's the third search result).  ... I find him really fascinating and just kind of all-around awesome.  He's so passionate about what he does, and it just... it really shows.  Plus, I admit that I get more entertainment than I probably should out of him completely ripping apart the chefs (contestants?) when they make mistakes.  I'm a bit hard-pressed to really explain why I enjoy the show, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say it's mostly because of him.

I'm hesitant to include this next show on my list, because I've only seen a single episode of it -- but what the hell, I'm gonna go for it.  I just recently tried out a new series on HBO called The Newsroom, and I thought the first episode was pretty entertaining and interesting.  It deals with a semi-over-the-hill news anchor who's disliked within his station, and his interactions and experiences with a new staff that want to make the news prominent and trustworthy again.  I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this show, given my lack of experience with it, but the first ten minutes of it had me more than a little intrigued.  It's set very firmly within the framework of real life (the first episode revolves around the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico), but... I don't know.  I enjoyed that first episode, and I have the next three saved on my DVR, waiting to be watched.

My next-to-last pick is Avatar: The Last Airbender.  It took a while for this series to grow on me - my first experience with it was in the middle of the first season, in the middle of an episode that didn't seem to make any sense.  It was airing on Nickelodeon, and I dismissed it as "another kid's show" pretty much immediately.  Somehow, I got started on watching it, though, and now it's one of my favorite animated shows out there.  The show strikes a really good balance between silliness and seriousness (though it tends to lean more toward the former in the first half of the series, and the latter in the back half), and the characters are genuinely interesting and likable.  The show was popular enough to spawn a live-action adaptation of the first season (which was absolutely terrible), multiple games (most of which were absolutely terrible), a graphic novel epilogue (which was been pretty good so far), and a spiritual sequel (which was alright, though not as good as the original).  Not bad for an original series from Nick.

The last entry that comes to mind off the top of my head is Married... With Children.  This is an older series that I grew up watching (... not that I'd recommend letting children watch it.  I was a special case), and it has a lot of the same basic plot devices as any other sitcom.  The main characters are a supremely dysfunctional family of losers that fight and argue with each other, and ultimately always work things out as a family.  There's more than a little bit of adult humor within the show, but it's never done in a way that's distasteful or unnecessary (... not in my opinion, at least).  The quality of each episode can vary decently, even within each season, but this is a show where I'm almost guaranteed to laugh while watching it.

Quick mentions:
Firefly - still haven't seen it.  Watched the first ten minutes of the first episode.  Will watch one day.
Power Rangers - specifically, the original series, and the latest one (Samurai).  Because I'm a sucker for both samurai-related things and giant dinosaurs beating the hell out of stuff.
Super Mario Bros. Super Show and Legend of Zelda - these were really awful animated shows from 1989 that I enjoy because of their base material.  Also, the latter show gave us the (classic?) line "Well excuuuuuuuuuse me, princess".
80's/90's cartoons - Thundercats, Silverhawks, Wing Commander, Mega Man, Teknoman, Garfield and Friends, Beetlejuice, X-Men.... I could still watch any of these and enjoy them.  Well, mostly.

I've never seen Seinfeld.  People seem to gape at me when I tell them that.  I'm not sure why.

1 comment:

  1. Trust me, you're not missing much with Seinfeld. It was probably legitimately groundbreaking or whatever when it was on, but it really fails more miserably than any other show that I've seen at holding up over time.

    ReplyDelete