Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Couple of Selections from My Shelves

I do read a lot, but I've never been big on thinking of book recommendations, and I haven't actually been reading as much lately. But there are still some books I consider up there when I think of what might be my favorites.

Watership Down by Richard Adams sits up there are the book I first think of whenever someone asks me my favorite. I have read it a couple of times, and for me to read a book more than once means I most definitely liked it. It's a long, epic tale of rabbits as the struggle to find a new home. I should also warn you I'm not very good at giving plot summaries, but I will try my hardest. The world building and mythology, along with the characters, is what keeps drawing me back to it.

The Farseer Trilogy and The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb are two of my favorite fantasy trilogies. There's magic, dragons, assassins and once again interesting characters. The writing is good and it's on of the settings that keep coming back to see if the writer has written more in.

I read this series a long time ago, but it was another that always stuck me in the mind for the way the author used character shifts and footnotes to expand the world the author is showing. The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud still has the fantasy twist of magic and such, but takes place in a more modern setting. It's young adult, and I always thought it was a series that didn't get enough attention that it deserved.

I'm really really no good at summarizing. And I really really dislike summarizing. So I suppose you are going to have to take me at my word for it, and Google these series for yourselves. They really are good, and really sit at the top of my favorites list.

No comments:

Post a Comment