Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

...but you don't have to take my word for it!



Back in the good old glory days of elementary and middle school, I used to read practically non-stop.  And then when high school started the homework load increased dramatically and I started staying after school to for rehearsals and team practices, so I’m sad to say I haven’t really read as much for fun as I used to.  I wanted to start off my post for this week with this little tidbit of information, mostly to help explain why I’ve included so many “kid-lit” books.  Not that I haven’t read a lot of great books since, but a good number of the books I read during elementary and middle school have really stuck with me and they continue to be some of my favorites to this day.  Anyway, I’m going to start with some of my favorite children’s books that are totally worth reading, even if you’re not a kid anymore, and progress into some of my favorite non-children’s fiction and non-fiction books. 

A Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
I remember when we used to go to the library in elementary school and the librarian had to start a list of whose turn it was that week to check out either of these books, which were a collection of Silverstein’s children’s poems (or anyone’s poems, really).  A lot of them still make me chuckle as I’m reading. 

Stone Soup by Marcia Brown
 I was recently reintroduced to this story the other day, and in the 15 of so years since I had last heard it, I had forgotten how much I liked this book and still do.  It’s a good lesson-within-a-story about sharing and cooperating with others that I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who needs a good book to read to small children. 

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
I read these later on in elementary school during the long bus ride home, and they’re still some of my favorite books.  The books are historical fiction, but they were inspired by the author’s life in a pioneer family growing from a child into a young adult.  I guess it’s a book that more girls than boys would like because it’s told from Laura’s point of view, but anyone interested in the time period might like it. 

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I think I’ve already mentioned a few weeks ago that I didn’t read these books until my senior year of high school, but I’ll add to that by saying that I kind of wish I had read them sooner, but I’m glad that when I did start to read the series 1) because the entire series had already been published, so I didn’t have to wait for the next book to come out, and 2) because at 18 years old, I was able to read the books quickly and they weren’t as confusing as they would have been if I had read them in elementary or middle school.  But regardless of when you read the books (and you should), the story is really good.  

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I’m so glad we had to read this book in 9th grade English class.  This is a prime example of good storytelling paired with a great story.  I’ll just say that this story taught me a little about a lot concerning life in general. 

Othello by Shakespeare
Another jewel from a high school English class, this one being from the 10th grade.  I could do without some of Shakespeare’s comedies, like A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but of his tragedies, this one was one was among my list of favorites.  I would really love to see this play performed live one day.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
A really good book about the “Roaring ‘20s” that still contains modern sentiments that the audience can relate to.  I’m really excited for the Baz Luhrman movie, but, based on the creative liberties as a director he’s taken in the past, and I mean this with greatest respect to both author and director, I would recommend reading the book before seeing the movie, just sayin’.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
This trilogy is probably one of my favorite series’ of Young Adult books, right next to Harry Potter.  I thought that both the characters and story were so interesting and well developed (If you happen to notice a pattern forming, simultaneous character/ plot development is really important to me J ).  I’ll admit it, I’m so glad that I jumped on The Hunger Games bandwagon, because I think the story and characters were really well-executed.         

A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages by Kristin Chenoweth with Joni Rodgers
I was a fan before I read the book, and now I’m an even bigger fan after I’ve finished reading it.  Chenoweth has always been one of my favorite musicians and performers, and now that I’ve read this book, I must say that I also emulate her outlook.  Reading this book was like listening to your most hilarious friend tell you a bunch stories that were both funny and honest.  If you don’t know who she is, I say that she is definitely worth looking up!       
 

A Separate Peace by John Knowles
If you were to pick one book off of this list to read, I would recommend this one.  I’ll try to not give much away about the plot, so I’ll just say that the story revolves mostly around two best friends and their classmates at an all-boys boarding school in New England during the mid-twentieth century.  Even though I can’t relate to the setting or the gravity of the story itself, I was able to relate to how the characters were feeling, because a lot of their sentiments are universal, regardless of setting.  Anyway, I’m afraid this little snippet doesn’t do the book the justice it deserves… As they used to say on “Reading Rainbow”: “but you don’t have to take my word for it.”  


No comments:

Post a Comment