Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

It's not real. ... Or is it?

I'm fairly certain that most people out there have seen or heard of one of the big political stories going on at the moment, but just to cover all possibilities, here's the story: (clicky-clicky).

Todd Akin, a US Representative from Missouri, made several statements regarding pregnancy rates from rape.  Among his comments were "... It's really rare", and "If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down".  This outraged me the first time I read about it, and it continues to do so.  "Legitimate" rape?  I'm sorry, I didn't know there was any other kind of rape.  Rape, by its very definition, is an act that is forced upon someone.  I don't know what he was thinking when he said that.  He's gone on to claim that he "misspoke", but as far as I know, he hasn't offered any explanation beyond that.  It seems pretty clear to me that if he misspoke, there should be immediate clarification.  The picture that I'm getting isn't one of clarification - it's of damage control.  A lot of people are calling for him to drop out of the Senate seat race that he's (currently) a part of, but he doesn't seem to consider that a possibility.

So, with the backstory out of the way, -should- he be forced to drop out of the Senate race?  My opinion is no.  Did he make a completely stupid, asinine comment?  Absolutely.  Should he be publicly "raked over the coals", as it were, in order to even START making amends for that?  Absolutely.  Does it in any way make him ineligible for holding a Senate seat?  Not in the slightest.  Really, all it does is put the voters into a different situation.  Assume that you're steadfastly Republican (which Mr. Akin is).  Is your political affiliation strong enough to push you to vote for him anyway, even after that kind of comment?  Or would you be displeased enough by it to change your mind, either voting for the Democrat, another candidate, or not at all?  Let's not forget, it wasn't too long ago that we had a US President in office who misspoke regularly.  I've seen 366-page calendars of "Bushisms" more than I'd ever cared to.  Former President Bush's qualifications (or lack thereof) to run the country are a different topic, though.

Essentially, I think that if Rep. Akin chooses to remain in the Senate race, then more power to him.  The final decision lies, as it always has, in the hands of the voters.  If the public is as outraged as they say, then their votes will speak for themselves.

I doubt this post saved any lives, and I apologize for that.  In an attempt to remedy that, I'll share this nugget of wisdom: studies have shown that 10 out of 10 people who drink water die.  Take from that what you will.

'Till next time, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment