Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Money, Money, Money...

Okay, so to preface my post, I would like to note that I don't know much about the actual costs of education, higher or otherwise.  Sure, I am in college, but my dad pays for most of it and likes to keep the finances to himself.  So, I'm going to base this post on what I think is happening, and if any of it is fundamentally incorrect, please let me know.

So, I think that higher education has become much more difficult to get into then in past decades, based on what I have been told.  There are now test scores and extracurricular activities that determine whether the college will let you in, instead of just grades.  There are also more people finishing high school and competing for a spot at a college, because it is expected of them and will help them get a better job.  Our society today believes that you have to have a college degree to do well, so more people are being coerced into getting one, which also makes the rush to get jobs significantly harder to people without a college degree.  So, it's a vicious cycle that plays over and over again.

Now, paying for higher education is what most people who elect to go to college are worried about.  The tuition tends to be expensive, and it can be very difficult to pay the university that much money.  That is where financial aid and student loans come in, especially if someone is paying for their own college without the help of parents.  Now, financial aid seems to work well for students whose parents don't make much money, but what about if the parents make a lot of money but refuse to help?  Then student loans have to be taken out, which probably requires a lot of bothersome things I don't know about.  The money aspect of college is probably a factor that deters people from going and getting a college degree, as well, although I don't know that for certain.

Colleges here in the United States also have different policies than elsewhere.  I heard somewhere that Germany (I think) has free college options, and the only reason I can think of that this would be the case is that if you want to go to college then hopefully you will make something of yourself and help the society through your job.  This may not be true, but It makes sense to me.  However, I don't know if it could actually work like that, because then couldn't people get a college degree and then do absolutely nothing with it?  If people have to pay for their education they are more likely to appreciate it and do something productive with their lives.

Well, I think that just about wraps up my post.  I hope you enjoyed it, and I can'r wait to read other's opinions throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment